Monday, March 7, 2011

ramblings

I haven't posted in awhile and I am sitting here thinking about witty things to talk about. But life is pretty mundane right now. I had to put a lock on Emily's closet because I got tired of her changing clothes 300 x a day. She declared she wanted clothes for her birthday instead of toys. She's 4 not 14 in case you were wondering.

Joshua starts back to school tomorrow and my stomach is in knots over this. I am ready to send him back to school. This past week he's been a handful. On the other hand, I wish he didn't have to go so I could keep him at home and protect him from all the hurt and hate in the world. One bubble to go please. :)

I've been reading a lot more articles and blogs on autism lately. Sometimes they are easy to read and humorous and other times downright painful. I wear my emotions on my sleeve which is probably not the best thing for Joshua. He doesn't need a mom who starts bawling at the first sight of injustice against him. I need to toughen up but it's so hard.

I've watched a video the other day about Glass Children. If you don't know what that is it refers to the typical siblings of special needs kids. It was  a real eye opener for me and I need to make sure I take care of Emily as well as Joshua. Here's the video. It's worth the watch even if you don't have special needs kids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSwqo-g2Tbk&feature=youtu.be I try to pay attention to Emily and spend a lot of alone time with her. I do worry about how Joshua acts out against her sometimes. I'm sure it seems like we don't punish Joshua enough. Hopefully, one day she will understand. In the meantime, I just need to continually make her feel loved and special and know that she is just as important to us as Joshua. Of course, this would be a lot easier to do if she wasn't a girl who acted like a teenager. Oh the talking back, and attitude, and arguments. Sometimes, she is more difficult than Joshua. Not sure why I ever taught her to talk.

Hopefully, I will do enough for my kids not to scar them too badly. Maybe instead of a college fund, we should start a therapy fund...hmmm....need to call our financial advisor and discuss. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment